12 replies to this topic

#1 RoyAlugbue

RoyAlugbue

Staff

• Moderators
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew York City Metro, USA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

We just got wind of some interesting news thanks to Jack Holt. Google just announced it is changing the Android Market to Google Play. Will include a host of improvements in addition to unifying a lot of its services into one major app. Talk Android has been following it closely as you folks know already. Me personally: Not sure if I should be excited or worried... but then again, what do I know? You folks excited?
Roy Alugbue
Author @ Talk Android
Google Chat: RAlugbue
Twitter: Bigroyyy
Often imitated, never duplicated

#2 Psywar

Psywar

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSaint Clair, MI

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Downloaded the updates last night at work..
Nothing to spectacular. Everything is the same other than some pretty sweet deals they have going on due to the change.

Posted Image

::HTC Evo 4G Owner::-Rooted w/ Unrevoked-::ROM:: CyanogenMod 7 ::Kernel:: Tiamat v.4.1.0 ::
TalkAndroid.com | Follow @TalkAndroid | TalkAndroid on Facebook | TalkAndroid on G+ | TalkAndroid on YouTube

#3 tekmosis

tekmosis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm not too excited about the re-branding. I think this was a poor choice on their part.
The only thing good I see about this so far is the $0.45 apps they put on sale.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
​-------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
Twitter: @tekmosis | G+

#4 Redemption

Redemption

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm not excited at all. Android Market has a firm brand now, Google Play sounds like a place for games, worse, the word Play is being built up by RIM for its Playbook. So now RIM has Playbook, and Google has Google Play?

[ It sort of seems interesting, depending on how far RIM takes their Android emulation... Google Play on the RIM Playbook might make alot of sense ]

#5 Psywar

Psywar

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSaint Clair, MI

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Redemption: It's funny you say that. When I first installed and opened Google Play I noticed it still looks like the Market, but the first thing I thought of was Google pawned off the Market to some other company to take control/care of.

Posted Image

::HTC Evo 4G Owner::-Rooted w/ Unrevoked-::ROM:: CyanogenMod 7 ::Kernel:: Tiamat v.4.1.0 ::
TalkAndroid.com | Follow @TalkAndroid | TalkAndroid on Facebook | TalkAndroid on G+ | TalkAndroid on YouTube

#6 Made Sukahatya

Made Sukahatya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

Why use Google Play ?
Why not use Google Market?
Follower of What's in a Name?

#7 sirena.alex

sirena.alex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Google play? Why sounds just like for games only? In my view it is a dull name…... Market sounded much better and had a better description. Not a good step in my view.

#8 louisa9

louisa9

• Approved Members Group
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

I don't care it very much.I always find the free android games on the internet.lol
Just another app store if you ask me...

#9 littlebigblue

littlebigblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMidlands, UK

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

I wasn't impressed with the new name. The 'Android Market' branding is well known now and is kind of a cool name.
But everything that Google has done before has always been a massive success so I am sure they know what they are doing! :)

#10 Iziz

Iziz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

"These aren't the androids you're looking for" :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apps