Android Forum - A Community For Android Users and Enthusiasts
dr_bowtie

Have you Rooted your Phone?

Removing the Bloatware can help with battery life..

The issue on applications running and draining your battery is debatable.

Some people say you need to make sure you kill all your applications and other people say Android (depending on your version) does the job perfectly fine of keeping your programs open but in idle to where they are not using any battery life, but sitting in your phones memory so when you want to use the program it will launch faster.

When you root your phone you can put specific ROM's and Kernels on your phone and the dev's usually add stuff in to them to help improve the battery life.

Some devs will add a governor (don't know if I spelled that right lol) to the kernel or add in some sort of code that when your only idling your phone or not using it for anything major it will run the CPU at a lower clock speed which will also increase your battery life.

Sorry if that don't make sense I am going on tech. almost 2 days with no sleep now.

Ever since I began using technology I've wanted to mod it or find some way to get increased usability out of it. When I had my iPhone (blah blah, Android wins) I always had it jailbroken and as soon as I upgraded to my GS2 I immediately went to root it.

I finally found a Cyanogen kang that will run on an i727 today so I'm glad I'm back into the world of greater customization. If anyone knows any better/interesting i727 ROMS, let me know!

I have a bit of a trend when it comes to rooting.

I didn't root my Nexus One or my Nexus S and haven't rooted my Galaxy Nexus (yet).

I did however root my HTC Hero, my Motorola Milestone and my Galaxy S.

It seems I like pure Google experience phones just as they are!

Yeah I agree Chris.

The phones are pretty slick as-is. I could live with out rooting.. I just have the need to do it.. Even if I could only use a stock based ROM, I would still root it just to do it. lol!

Removing the Bloatware can help with battery life..

The issue on applications running and draining your battery is debatable.

Some people say you need to make sure you kill all your applications and other people say Android (depending on your version) does the job perfectly fine of keeping your programs open but in idle to where they are not using any battery life, but sitting in your phones memory so when you want to use the program it will launch faster.

When you root your phone you can put specific ROM's and Kernels on your phone and the dev's usually add stuff in to them to help improve the battery life.

Some devs will add a governor (don't know if I spelled that right lol) to the kernel or add in some sort of code that when your only idling your phone or not using it for anything major it will run the CPU at a lower clock speed which will also increase your battery life.

Sorry if that don't make sense I am going on tech. almost 2 days with no sleep now.

Well said!!!

I have a bit of a trend when it comes to rooting.

I didn't root my Nexus One or my Nexus S and haven't rooted my Galaxy Nexus (yet).

I did however root my HTC Hero, my Motorola Milestone and my Galaxy S.

It seems I like pure Google experience phones just as they are!

I refrained from rooting my Nexus for a good while, because for once I genuinely enjoyed the interface. The next best thing I've had was Sense. Hated Touchwiz and though I never owned a device running it, MotoBlur didn't entice me. Pure vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich is finally pretty. The same went for my Xoom. Honeycomb without modification looked pretty good to me. I think I'm hooked on Nexus/Developer devices for good now.

I rooted my phone, only reason being was to disable the camera shutter noise. Other than that I'm not aware of what benefits rooting would give me and I haven't really looked into it much.

Interesting question - and timely for me ...

The answer is NO and then YES. Read on, its very interesting.

I own and use a Dell Streak 5 ... have done for the past 14 months. I was kind of frustrated by the fact that Dell have abandoned this phone/tablet ... and my carrier, ORANGE, here in the UK, is being distinctly gritty about helping me to decide ... what next ?

In short ... I can leave or change my device in September 2012 and that's it !!

Whilst footling around on the web, I discovered that - for me to be with ORANGE - my phone was almost certainly 'rooted'. It appears that the only carrier who sold the Dell Streak 5 'unrooted' in the UK - was O2.

I did not know that!

One of the bright support volunteers on the www..giffgaff.com site told me. 'FREE' was the magic word, coupled with the suggestion that I should try one of their FREE cards on the Dell ... it couldn't do any damage.

If it worked OK; then the Dell surely would have been 'rooted' by my supplier upon me purchasing it with an ORANGE SIM card.

I did ... and it worked ... so my DELL Streak 5 ... IS SURELY ROOTED.

So ... at least there is no panic when my ORANGE contract runs out on the Dell Streak 5.

I can especially avoid all this hassle ... http://www.reviewcen...eviews4859.html

I can simply pay £10 monthly for a GiffGaff 'bundle' - which gives me far more for my money than I might pay ORANGE to stay with them - and carry on regardless; while I wait for the price of a Samsung Galaxy NOTE to fall through the floor. Happiness reigns.

What's more ... this avid researcher tells you this for NOTHING ... Keep your eyes and ears open for the emerging 6" Android Tablet 'pocketables' marketplace ... Its going to be WILD !!!