Android Forum - A Community For Android Users and Enthusiasts
markw10

Purchasing Nexus 7-How to add external storage?

The Nexus 7 seems like the perfect tablet and I plan to purchase the 16GB version shortly. I also have the Xoom and have used the memory card slot for extra memory.

With the smaller size of the Nexus 7 I plan to use it frequently while on the go. I know that the Nexus 7 unfortunately doesn't have a memory card slot. This is unfortunate but with the Micro-USB port are there any options for additional storage? I know there's devices that can plug into this but that it depends on what Android Jelly Bean can support. I'd like to be able to simply purchase a memory card reader that can plug into it and have memory cards inserted into it. I'd even use the option to have an external hard drive if necessary. The only thing I've come across is the possibility of using wireless hard drives for storage.

Has anyone been able to add external storage such as the solution with a memory card reader and a memory card? If not, what hard drive solutions, wireless or not, work?

Thank you for your help with the above questions.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you cant add memory card on it as it doesnt allows you that. Hence you will have to try looking for a mini wireless hard disk as it supports it or get the 32 gb memory phone. Wireless hard drives are the best option as they have a good capacity and you can carry it wherever you want.

Well it's simple, download dropbpx, box and many other storing softwares. They will help you out to get free space and you will be able to customize your storage with this software.

• Like 1

Physically, you can't. Although there have been some very good suggestions to this thread, and the guy who suggested the Nexus App w/USB host cable made a very good one. In fact, I guess his idea kind of contradicts the idea you can't physically add external storage.

That's the thing about the Nexus 7 and other no sdcard devices. 16GB is nothing. I don't know why anyone would invest $200 in a device that will be so so limited by it's storage.

I have 16GB internal on my phone plus a 32GB card and only have a few gigs of room I leave for any images or videos I take.

Well it's simple, download dropbpx, box and many other storing softwares. They will help you out to get free space and you will be able to customize your storage with this software.

This is what I do