Android Forum - A Community For Android Users and Enthusiasts

Review: Ravpower WifiDisk (wireless storage reader/writer)

crazed00

$49.99 on Amazon

I bought this after reading some reviews on xda as well as following up my research on Amazon, and after receiving it and using it during a road trip, I'm amazed at what it can do.  The basic function of this product is to wirelessly access your flash drives, portable hard drives, and sd cards through its own wifi network (just like you would your home router). Essentially, this is like a portable router too. This is powered by a 3000 mah battery which also can double as a cellphone charger as well.

Using this was fairly simple for me. It really did work great right out of the box after installing the app AirStor. I was somewhat hesitant that there might be issues because some people were talking about how the firmware needed upgrading and that they had to do it themselves, but I guess I was lucky and perhaps this issue has been fixed because there were no errors for my device. I can also view my files through its own browser interface by typing in the WifiDisk's IP address 10.10.10.254 which was a great tip from someone who wrote a review on Amazon.

The best feature of this device is being able to access all my videos and stream seamlessly on my s3 without having anything physically connected to my phone. For viewing videos alone, it has worked wonders.

Other features are:
Connect up to 5 devices at the same time.
Wireless
Connect to your home internet via wizard setup.

Backup portable phone charger.

Supports

Product Specs from Amazon:

- Model: RP-WD01
- Wi-Fi Standard: 802.11b/g/n
- Wi-Fi Frequency: 2.4 GHZ
- SD card support: up to 128 G
- USB HDD support: up to 2 TB
- USB type: USB 2.0
- Micro-USB type: USB 2.0
- Power Bank Capacity: 3000 mAh
- Max Input: 5V / 1.5A
- Output: 5V / 1A
- Dimension: 4.65" x 3.11" x 0.55"
- Weight: 4.23 oz.
- Working Temperature: 5-35°C
- Storage Temperature: 0-60°C
- Certification: CE/FCC

Only downside so far to this is that this device does seem to scratch easily, and it's white.

Does anyone know of anything else like this on the market other than wifi hard drives? I find this product pretty revolutionary since I haven't seen anything like this on the market. It's really nice that with this I can use different storage types that I already own.

disk.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't been on here in a while, but yeah pretty much. In additoin to my review, I find that the battery life isn't that great though if you plan on using it for both a backup charger and the actual purposes of the wifi disk. For my complete techie arsenal, I have their 10,400mah backup charger too so I can charge this up and my phone and I'm good to go.

I have been considering buying the Ravpower device.  I am getting read to put the Pioneer App Radio 2 in my car, root my DNA and add the ARLiberator app.  For anyone that doesn't know it basically makes your cellphone into your cars dash unit, which is awesome because at this point our cellphones are nearly as powerful as our laptops. 

ANYway the final issue I have encountered is with music storage.  The DNA only has 16gb and no MicroSD slot, in my opinion it is the major drawback of HTC products.  As a result I need another option.  After weeks of searching I found the Ravpower but having the access to the files is only half the battle.  I need to be able to play music files on the storage device via from a music app that will add them as a whole so I can navigate them that way.  It would be dangerous looking through folders to switch every song.

I am told that Winamp will do this with usb sticks etc that are connected and mounted via usb and some apps designed to mount the external device. But this devices works via wifi so I am unsure as to if this method willwork.

Have tried to stream music through the device?  If so what programs are you using to do that, or what steps are you having to take to get it to work?  If not would there be anyway for you to try out winamp to see if it will work streaming those?

Using the phone's data connection is not an option because my data service is spotty at best and even when I do have full data signal I don't have a very large data plan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been considering buying the Ravpower device.  I am getting read to put the Pioneer App Radio 2 in my car, root my DNA and add the ARLiberator app.  For anyone that doesn't know it basically makes your cellphone into your cars dash unit, which is awesome because at this point our cellphones are nearly as powerful as our laptops. 

ANYway the final issue I have encountered is with music storage.  The DNA only has 16gb and no MicroSD slot, in my opinion it is the major drawback of HTC products.  As a result I need another option.  After weeks of searching I found the Ravpower but having the access to the files is only half the battle.  I need to be able to play music files on the storage device via from a music app that will add them as a whole so I can navigate them that way.  It would be dangerous looking through folders to switch every song.

I am told that Winamp will do this with usb sticks etc that are connected and mounted via usb and some apps designed to mount the external device. But this devices works via wifi so I am unsure as to if this method willwork.

Have tried to stream music through the device?  If so what programs are you using to do that, or what steps are you having to take to get it to work?  If not would there be anyway for you to try out winamp to see if it will work streaming those?

Using the phone's data connection is not an option because my data service is spotty at best and even when I do have full data signal I don't have a very large data plan.

Hi Shadovarian, Sorry for the late reply. I read your question last week however I didn't get a chance to mess around with my phone until now. I finally came around to it and unforutinatly, it seems AirStor comes with its own player and I can't go around that. I even tried accessing this through other storage readers such as Es Explorer and Solid Explorer and it only allowed music to run on its player or Apollo even though I have Winamp installed and set as my default player. If you get one you can give it a try. I'm not particulary savy when it comes to these things. Only way I can think of is downloading your play list onto your phone from the WifiDisk but that totally defeats the purpose of using the WifiDisk.

• 9 months later...