Android Forum - A Community For Android Users and Enthusiasts

Can't open pictures from SD card anymore.

kvm

Hi,

I have Samsung Galaxy SII with Samsung 32GB SD micro card. The phone was saving pictures authomaticly to the SD card. Everything was fine until few days ago. I couldn't open some pictures from the last trip. There were blank places instead of thumbnails. I decided to save the rest of the pictures (that survived) from the card on to my computer, unfortunately, before I've done it I couldn't open the rest of them. Now  it looks like it's taking a few pictures (and movies) a day from my memory card.

When I copy these pictures on to my computer, I can see the jpeg icon (no thumbnail), the files have sensible sizes (2-3 MB), they are all jpeg files I just can't open them.

I've tried disc recovery, digital image recovery, but it didn't help.

Sad thing is that I had similar problem before, but I was using a cheap, chinesse no name sd card. I thought it was just faulty card, so  decided to go for Samsung 32GB, and now I have the same problem. The card is only filled with 3GB (photos, movies, music). It was formated before I started using it.  Is this sth wrong with my phone or rather SD card?

Also, when I wanted to copy come pictures from my old mobile on to my card it copied only some of it, and the rest was copied as a unknown files all wit the same name: "u" (Greek letter "mi").

Could you please help me? These pictures are very important to me. Is there any chance that I could get them back (or rather open them, because they are still there)? Is there anything like a cloud, or a phone memory that it saves previously opened files?

Thanks

Well, that is weird which software you are using in your desktop for viewing pictures ??? I would say why don't you try using some other photo viewer software like picasa or..... try opening the same image by using some other image viewer ! One more thing, does the pictures are accessible in your device??? If you still can't access that I think you might loose all your images. i.e you may need to format your SD card. :(

Thanks for the reply. I've tried irfan view and ACDsee. Didn't work. I can't open the pictures on my phone neither. If i could open them anywhere, that would be not a problem. The thing is that  I can't open them at all. I will try picasa anyway...

Well, I think that you have lost your all pictures, I think you need to format your SD card now !! :( So assuming that now you have lost all your picture so i would share a trick that may help you in getting pictures back but still a last try may worth it, what you have to do is format your SD card and use some photo recovery software, that may help you in getting the pic back....  :blink:  But i am not sure about this trick do it at your own risk. 

Thanks. Well, I've got nothing to lose. Will do that and let you know what happend. Do you think it could be faulty card or rather phone's problem?

How can I check if my card is not broken? I don't want to have the same problem in the future. 

Hi. Done, but unfortunately with the same result. I decided to do a deep format. I lost any hope to get this pictures back. Now there is a question: is this faulty card or phone? I don't know if I should go for another card or stay with the same. How can I check if the card is ok? I would like to avoid this kind of situation in the future.

Well, it seems that this is an faulty SD card and yes there isn't any technique that can help you in avoiding this !! I would rather suggest you to create a dropbox account and keep the backup of important file there, and as an prevention always buy good quality SD card, but as you said that you've bought a good SD card. So, I'll say consider yourself unlucky and one more thing in order to remain on the safe side always unmount the SD card from the device before removing it, do you use to unmount your SD card before removing it ??? It is another reason that worn out the SD cards !! well, I'll still stress on synchronising your sensitive data on some cloud storage, i am sure you will be having gmail account, you can sign up in google drive that gives you around  15GB storage for free,I am sure you can use that.  :)  and next time lets hope your luck will not ran out !! :rolleyes: